Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Valentine's Day

Background:  Nothing special this week, except that the things she is not suppose to "look at" was the talk from the Eyers about raising families that I sent as the Valentines greeting...it's nothing more than that! - Val

For VALentines day (as dad put it:)) I taught a lesson with another sister because we were on exchanges, had homemade pizza and banana splits that a memeber gave us, bought a salad from Cafe Rio that I haven't ate yet, and gave a talk at the program we had at the Visitor Center last night. That was my V-day. The lesson we gave was about how the Bible and the BofM work together and both testify of Jesus Christ. The lady is a strong 7th day adventist so the bible is very important to her. The sisters who usually teach her have taught her everything pretty much and were thinking about "dropping" her since she is not progressing. I thought maybe that teaching about the BofM throught the eyes of the Bible was an option to try before they stop meeting with her. The lesson went well and the Spirit was so strong. She had a wall built up at the beginning and by the end she became more softened. I don't know what will happen with her but it was a nice lesson. We read the talk given by Tad Callister at the last General Conference and that helped a lot. I recommend that talk to give to people if they have questions about the BofM and why it is so essential. I love it. While I was on my exchange with this other sister, my companion taught a man that we came across as we taught at that church service at the retirement apartment complex. Last Sunday we went to the retirement complex and ate dinner with a memeber. We then went to the room where they hold Sunday service and we sang a couple of hymns...one of which was "He's got the whole world in His hands". Ha! It was so funny and awesome. They then had us get up and talk about what we do as missionaries and why we decided to serve missions. Sister Lawrence told them what we do as missionaries and then I got up and told them why we are serving as missionaries. I shared a scripture of what Christ taught from the Bible in Matthew. I then proceeded to teach about the Restoration of the gospel and the prophet. We told a little about the BofM and then we sang the hymn "I know that my Redeemer Lives". That is what really brought the Spirit. There were about 15-20 people that were there. After we ended this man came up to me and asked how he could get a copy of the BofM. I told him that we could bring one by the next evening. He agreed. My companion and Sister Liddiard went and taught him and extended a baptismal date! I was so proud of my companion! He accepted it and we are going over there tonight to teach him again. It sounds like he has been looking for truth for a long time since he has belonged to 3 different churches I guess. I hope that he reads and prays. I'll let you know how it goes next time I chat with you...hopefully I remember:)

Last night I gave a talk in our program that was about the Book of Mormon. Usually they have me sing but instead I was asked to speak about Jesus Christ. I was nervous with such a big responsibility to talk about the most important man ever, but I just used a LOT of scriptures that testified of Him and that seemed to work. I love my Savior. It was a really good program. (Sister Lawrence I guess videod it even though she wasn't supposed to but she didn't know. Maybe somehow I will try to get that to you...)

Well I'd better go. We have a lot to accomplish today. OH...by the way thank you SOOOO much for the pillowcase! It was such a nice surprise! Can I just wash it normally? It is a huge pillow case. I will have to find a pillow that fits it:) Sister Lawrence loved her socks and her dog card! She loves dogs. She might have to someday meet Nick and Tootsie. She would LOVE them.

I love you all so much. I cannot look at some of the things you send just so you know...I'm just not supposed to. But thank you for sending them anyway!

LOVE YOU!

Sister Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment