Monday, September 26, 2011

My First Baptism

Background: The "quote" I sent Janell was from C.S. Lewis:  'In the end, there are two kinds of people...those who say to God, "Thy will be done", and those to whom God relunctly says, "Thy will be done".'  Janell collects provoking thoughts (or quotes) so if you have some favorites, let me know and I will forward them to her.  She speaks of the fireside speaker, Brad Bryan below who played baseball at Cal (my alma mater).  I played through 1964 and graduated in 1965, so I looked in my '65 Yearbook (attached), and there he is, middle row, 5th from the left...small world.  I don't specifically remember him, but he looks familiar.  So that you don't call the authorities, Jodee rode home from the park in the back of Diane's van because she couldn't climb into the front...and Diane called it the trunk.  Jodee thought it was funny.  The "conference" she is encouraging everyone to watch is the General Conference of the Church where all the general authorities (apostles..) will speak, and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing in 4 major televised meeting from Salt Lake City on Saturday and Sunday, October 1st and 2nd.  Broadcasts will be on cable channel KBYU in High Definition at 9:00am and 1:00pm PDT each of those days.  These are held each April and October and will have a world-wide audience.  I record them and review them from time-to-time during the next 6 months.  We regard them as modern-day instruction for the world, similar to Paul instructing the Romans,  Corinthians, etc. ~2000 years ago.  Janell is right...it seems that someone has always addressed me personally at every conference.  Enjoy! - Val



I loved the quote that you sent. Keep em comin'.

So...I just went to the White House!!! So cool! Smaller than I imagined but cool that I have now officially been inside. The Obama's were inside too but I didn't see them. I only know that because the guy who took us works there so he had the inside scoop. He was the only one who could take pictures so I didn't get any pictures on my camera but I'll have him email you the pics he took.
I DID get the chocolate but I had no idea it had to be refrigerated. I will put it in the fridge once I get home. I have been still eating them though...hopefully that has nothing to do with the fact of me getting sick lately.
So today is my companion's last p-day before she leaves next week to go home to Kenya. She is way excited. We ended with a bang last Sunday because we had a BAPTISM! It was my first baptism. Yep, it was Karl. He is so awesome! He is such a solid kid. I will send you pics. He was even talking about serving a mission in a couple of years. Oh, that made me so happy because that was my first thought when we first started teaching him. He will make an excellent missionary! One of his favorite things he learned about the principles of the gospel was the word of wisdom. That should tell you how stellar he is. That one is a hard one for people to like. :) The night after the baptism there was a "Why I Believe" fireside at the VC. Karl spoke at it. He bore his testimony. I was like a proud parent. Everyone came up to us after to say how solid he is. Yep. He is ridiculous...but in a good way. Not many like him around. At the fireside a man spoke named Brad Bryan or something like that. He played baseball at Cal Berkeley! Ya! I asked when he was there and he said 1963. I told him that my dad and uncle played there too. I wonder if you played with him or if that was right after you played dad. In his talk he had a LOT of baseball analogies...made me miss my pappy. It was awesome!
So I was watching a video at the VC the other day and low and behold who do I see? Yep...it was Dave Tinney! Hahahaha! I laughed out loud. It was a random dvd that I never have seen before about the D&C sections or something. He was a bad guy.  Hahahaha...loved it! I also saw Lita on one of our kiosks! She is on there and it made me  miss all of my people. I love knowing famous people:)
Well I'm glad to hear that Jodee got to ride in the trunk of a car! Ha ha Dobes! That is awesome. Sounds like her birthday was interesting as well. What a good time.
Mom, I had sports day last Wed so that is why I had P-day. It was super fun. I will send you pics. I have a TON of pics to send to you...it will make you so happy:)
Thank you for all the birthday gifts and wishes! They were so wonderful!
I am so grateful for all of you. I know that Heavenly Father is so mindful of everyone of you. I'm so excited for conference. It is my favorite time of year. Watch it. Someone will speak on something that is specifically for you.
Well, I have to get going. I love all of you so much. Let me know how everyone is doing. LOVE YOU!

Sista Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment