Ok mom, I'm sorry I haven't been providing enough info for you..I will work on it now. So my apartment is off of a main street in DC. Life is fast paced here in the city. I room with my companion Sister Otieno and we have two other sisters in the apartment, Sister DeAugustini and Sister Chan. The apartment is fine and livable. The ants sure like our living room but I just send them to heaven where they will be happier (yes, that is right. I kill them). My companion is from Kenya . She is great. She thinks I'm crazy. She tells me that all the time. I told her that she loves me she just doesn't know it yet:) We have a good time on occasion but I don't think people understand why I love to laugh so much. It is the only thing that keeps me sane. There is one sister that makes me laugh though. Her name is Sister Perez. She is from Mexico. She is hilarious! I don't know why she makes me laugh so hard but she is funny. She told me that the first time that she met me she thought I was snobby but now she thinks that I'm super fun. It's funny cause I think that a LOT of sisters here thought or still think that I'm snobby. I swear that I do nothing but who knows. But once they get to know me they tell me that they think I'm funny. One girl asked if I ever did stand up comedy. HA, now she was pretty funny. I just have to laugh sometimes ya know.
This past week we had zone conference. It was so nice to have a little change. I learned SO much! President and Sister Matsumori are so amazing. I sure love all of the senior couples as well. I had a chance to meet some of the elders in the mission and they are all so cute and little. It makes me miss all of my nephews. None of the other sisters talk the elders because of elder/sister relationships or something like that. I guess I'm just a rebel! You know, it is possible to talk to someone without falling in love with them. hahaha.
Let's see...Oh dad you will LOVE this story. The other day we were downtown going to go talk to some members in the ward and we met a guy named Stephen. He said that he wanted to sit down and talk to us sometime. We didn't even have to invite him to talk! He asked if right then would be ok so of course we agreed. He started to ask us why we were on missions and then we found out that he was a missionary himself for his church. He was apart of the penacostal baptist church or in other words, he was an evangelical! I just laughed to myself because I thought about you. He wanted probably to save my soul! Well, we met with him even though I knew he didn't really want to learn. He was super nice though and everytime we invited him to do something he would invite us to do something. Haha. He wanted to meet with us some more but with someone who doesn't have the intent to truly learn, we can't waste our time. BUT I will say this about it. It confirmed even more that this church is TRUE. Oh my. He told me what they believed and I loved hearing it and everyday I think about things that he said and how it makes NO sense to me. In 2 Nephi it talks about how the gospel will give light to the understanding, this is so true. Whenever I read the scriptures and pray and learn anything about the restoration of the gospel, it just makes sense and it is so good. When he talked, I was SOOOO confused. It made no sense. I'm glad that he is a good guy and wants to do good. That is wonderful. I was just so confused.
The mission is hard but it is good. I have met many awesome people. In zone conference we discussed how as a mission we are going to do a "40 day fast" together. What this means is that we are going to fast and pray for a day and write down all things that we do that poke at the spirit (anything that leads the spirit away). The spirit is the only way anyone can be successful in missionary work because it is the one that does the converting and we are just the vessel. But the vessel needs to be able to have it. Once we have the list, we fast from those things for 40 days. We pray everyday to be able to do it. I love this idea. There was a talk by a guy who did it on his mission because it was the counsel of a leader that spoke to them and he said it changed his whole mission because he had the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. I know that this is needed in order for me to be a better instrument in the Lord's hands because this is His work. I will let you know how it goes.
I love you all so much. I really do have the greatest family ever. I want you all to know that I know that this gospel is true and if we strive to live and follow the commandments with all of our hearts, that our Heavenly Father will pour out His blessings upon us. I have been so blessed already in my life to have such wonderful examples that surround me. I love my Savior and this is His gospel. It is only through Him and His gospel that we will find peace, comfort, and joy in this life and in the eternities. Always remember that. Draw near unto Him so He can draw near unto you. It is true. All of it. I love Him. I love all of you. Write me. I love hearing about life. :)
Love you,
Sister Lewis
No comments:
Post a Comment