Friday, September 21, 2012


Yes I deserve the reprimand about the length of the letters. I find that I don't have a lot of time so they are short AND I have a very poor memory so I can't remember my past week. I will try and be better.

Last night at the VC I met a family that had 7 children all under the age of 11. The father was from a family of 11 and the mother was from a family of 10. The father's parents also adopted 10 Russian children as well. Get this also, his parents got married at 28 and had the 11 within 15 years...no twins. What the?? I was in awe. It was fun to talk to them. I love the visitor center. Had a guy come in yesterday that had a ton of questions about mormons because of the election going on. He is Catholic and wondered how our faiths differed. He probably would have stayed forever if his little son wasn't wanting to go. I told him to come back and invited him to meet with missionaries. He was such a nice guy. It is so cool to see how whats going on in the world is bringing Heavenly Father's children closer to Him. I love it.

Yesterday before I went to the VC was very cool as well. We went to go see a lady that we knocked on many a time. She talked to missionaries like a year ago but no contact since. We showed up and her husband was pulling out to go to work. He got out of the car and went in to get his wife. So we got to go in. Miracle. She was so nice. We sat in her office and she told us about her country Liberia and her life story. It was incredible and sad but also good. We talked about God and Jesus Christ and how important they are in our lives. We talked about church and she said that she would try to come with her family. She is a very educated woman. She lives in the most beautiful home. She gave us a tour after we chatted and told us to come back and cook with her. It was so fun. What is also cool is that morning during my studies I randomly read an article in the latest Ensign about the Book of Mormon for our day. It talks about the war chapters and everything. It was a good article. But what was cool is that our conversation with Gbomai (pronounced Bo-Ma) she asked about war and why there is war. I told her that in the Book of Mormon there are many instances of war and throughout history that has been the case and I used what I had learned earlier in the morning with her. I love how the Spirit works. Later yesterday we also met the nicest people in the world. The wife is a less active but I didn't realize it until at the end of our conversation. We had just gone over there because we received a referral to give a dvd to this family. The husband is not a member and the wife doesn't have a testimony at all but they LOVE the missionaries. We were there forever and they just chatted with us. They just got back from Utah and going to the Shakespear festival. They saw all the shows that you did. They gave us homemade peach butter and they were the most delightful people. They offered to take us to tour DC on our P-day. I told them that you were coming to town in November and they said that they would love to meet you. Their son is an art docent at the national cathedral so he said that he'd give us a tour. A lot of people would love to meet you two. It will be fun.

We are still meeting with John. We had a wonderful lesson on Tues and we have a lesson for tonight. He already knows pretty much everything so it is just answering some concerns. On Tues we talked about the Word of Wisdom. He said that Christ's name is Wisdom so it is the Word of Wisdom. Yep. He is so good. We read from D&C 89. He took it and just read. It was so cool to see how the Spirit taught him. We didn't really say much and then suddenly he smiled and said that he has never heard the Word of Wisdom put so positively. He thought it was just a negative obedience thing but he LOVED what it really was saying. I love the scriptures. They are so true. They are far more powerful than anything else.  I loved that we turned to the scriptures. Tonight we will be talking about the Priesthood. I'm excited. I love that couple so much. I told them that I want to travel with them because they are so awesome. You will have to meet them for sure too.

Well I need to go. Time is far up. I hope the length of this letter was sufficient. I love this work. It is true. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't. Jesus Christ is our Savior. What a blessing! Tell Todd happy birthday today and tell all the other birthdays coming up or past that I send my love! I love you all so much!!!

Love,
Sister Lewis

 

No comments:

Post a Comment