Monday, July 16, 2012

HELLO!

This week has been a really good week. Last week for the 4th I went to the city with my companions. It was one of the hottest days this year. Both my companions are not from this country so it was a sacrifice for them to come with me to the city to see the monuments on my country's day. I absolutely LOVED it! We ended up talking and walking with a member that we found from the singles ward. He was searching for his friends so we ended up talking to him and walking around the tidal basin with him and his friend. He is here for the summer and works at the MTC in the Russian department. Found out that it is very possible that he knew Mindy when she was in the MTC. His name is Preston Rutter. Does Mindy know him? What a small world. He was such a nice guy. He bought us all a gatorade because it was so hot outside. I love members! I love hearing, "Hi Sisters!". It is the best. After we walked around my companions were not loving life. I don't think they had the best time but I am so grateful that we got to go down. We spent time at the Jefferson monument and I got to read the writing on the walls in the monument. This country was guided by Heavenly Father. These were inspired men that lead our country. It was a spiritual experience. I was so happy. I love America! I am so blessed to be here in the nation's capital. What a blessing! I was so happy all day. As we were walking back to the metro this guy stopped me and asked me out on a date. I laughed a little because I was not expecting that. Usually people see my name tag so they ask about religion and that is what I expected but nope. Not the case. He told me that he wanted to take me out on a date. I told him that I was a missionary and then he looked confused and asked, "you can't date as a missionary?" I guess he didn't care that I was missionary. Ha! People are so funny. I told him that I could tell him about Jesus Christ but he just smiled and kind of walked away. Nice guy. Kind of looked like a basketball player. That was my funny story in the city. I sure do miss the city. Never a dull moment.


We have had a crazy rest of the week. Rose is our investigator and she is scheduled to be baptized on the 5th of August. I hope it happens because it seems like all the people we are teaching are so good...then just stop meeting with us because life gets too hard. I wish the hard times wouldn't stop people. The gospel helps!

Well transfers are next week so I don't know if I will be emailing Wed or Thurs. Just write me before then so that I have a letter to read. I will probably be transferred to another area. It could be my last area that I serve. I have stayed in each area exactly 3 transfers so the next area could be my last area on my mission.

I love the mission. I love the people. I love you all so much. I know the gospel is true and that is where the happiness is found. Tell everyone that I love and miss them! Talk to you soon!

LOVE YOU!
Sister Lewis





Hey, Everyone,

Our gransdaughter Mindy (on her way home from her mission in Russia...on the right in the attached photo) stopped to see our daughter Janell at the Washington DC Visitor Center.

Since Mindy's parents were turned away from Russia, they are now in Washington DC waiting for their scheduled flight home Thursday night.

Since Mindy is still a missionary, maybe she can meet some Russian visitors at the Temple Visitor Center.

Great surprise for Janell!

Val



OK.... I've received so many emails wanting to know why Mindy's parents (Kevin and Diane) were turned away from Russia, I will send this to everyone.

When they received their "Visas" to enter Russia, it was written entirely in Russian, except for their names.  However, it wasn't actually a Visa, but an "invitation" to receive a Visa.  Since their knowledge of the Russian language is sorely lacking, they were totally clueless.  However, the "invitation" Visa got them through Customs in New York.  After a 10 hour flight, they entered Russian Customs who told them that their papers were not complete.  After leaving them alone in a room for 1 hour, officials entered and told them they had to hurry to catch their return flight to the US that leaves in 10 minutes.  They were then placed on a return 10 hour flight back to New York.  (By the way, they are still without their luggage).  They then arranged for Mindy to be flown to New York where they met her yesterday at 5:00pm.  Evidently, they travelled to Washington DC today to see Janell, and are staying with the family of a former Galena friend (Karen Larson Folkman).  Right now, that's all I know.

Val

No comments:

Post a Comment